Happy Fall! Hopefully, it’s not just a tease.
Important updates from Health Professions Advising:
Many thanks for all of your patience in scheduling an appointment. The following information may be helpful:
- Navigating Your Pre-Med Path workshops have been scheduled! These workshops are designed for any student who is new to a Pre-Med path at UNC, or who may be seeking a general overview of what a path can look like. First Year Students are advised to attend before scheduling an appointment. Sign up on the Health Professions Advising website for one of these sessions:
- October 21, 2019, Bingham Hall 103
- October 29, 2019, Genome G200
- November 12, 2019, Genome G200
- November 21, 2019, Genome G2002
- Health Professions Advising drop in hours will be available October 21st – 25th, 9-4pm . Keep in mind, October 24th is the last day undergraduate students can drop classes, or declare a course pass/fail. Drop-in advising will also be available when registration opens in November.
- Registration Date Announced for 2020 MCAT Exam Dates January – June
- Shadow abroad this summer through Atlantis
- Gap Year Opportunities: MedServe and Peace Corps
- SURF: Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- UNC School of Medicine Mentorship Opportunity
- Fully Funded Experiences Abroad: Center for Global Initiatives
- Information sessions: Campbell University, UNC Clinical Lab Science, Optometry Virtual Fair
- Free Full Length MCAT Exam
- Robert E. Bryan Fellowship: 10/21 Deadline
Registration for the January-June MCAT exam dates will open on October 16, 2019. Registration to select test dates for July-September will open in February 2020.
Students will have the ability to begin their registration process in advance of selecting their test date and location. Beginning on October 8, students will be able to complete the necessary background and biographical information and agree to the terms. The option to select a date and location will not be available until registration officially opens on October 16.
Starting the registration process early will allow your students more time to enter their personal information, read important MCAT policies and forms, and accept terms before searching for a test date and location on October 16. Completing personal information and terms in advance does not give students priority in selecting their test date and location.
Follow on Twitter @AAMC_MCAT for updates and announcements. For additional information about registration, visit our website.
Atlantis gives pre-med students 20+ hours a week of AAMC-compliant physician shadowing in 50+ of Europe’s best hospitals. We equip aspiring medical professionals with values such as innovation, humility, and cross-cultural communication.
We are accepting applications for next summer!
Do you want to experience global healthcare abroad? Atlantis is a summer clinical shadowing program in Europe. Shadow doctors 20+ hours a week for up to 4 weeks, explore a new country, and build community with a cohort of other pre-med students! Atlantis not only helps you discern your own future in medicine, but also provides a compelling story to tell on med school applications–many of our past fellows (from 400+ universities) attend top medical schools, and 95% of alumni would recommend Atlantis to a friend.
Request an application here–spots are filling up for Summer 2020!
MedServe is a 2-year service-learning fellowship for recent graduates interested in health careers, especially pre-med and pre-PA students, and is recruiting its 5th class of Fellows. MedServe places future healthcare professionals in “rock star” primary care clinics across rural and other medically underserved communities in North Carolina. Fellows work in both a clinical role (e.g. as a medical assistant) and community role (e.g. as a health coach). We currently have 51 Fellows serving across the state. Find more details on our website: www.med-serve.org
Peace Corps Information Event
Learn about the Peace Corps experience and application process. Hear from former Peace Corps Volunteers about their volunteer experience. October 8th, 4:30-6:00 pm, hosted by University Career Services. Visit Handshake for location details.
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program
The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program is one of many programs administered through OUR and designed to enhance the educational experience of undergraduates by engaging them in research opportunities. We expect to make about 60 individual awards each summer. The typical SURF award is $3,000. The deadline for receipt of all SURF application materials, including letters of recommendation, is February 1 by 4:00pm EDT. Eligibility and other details can be found here: https://our.unc.edu/surf/
Open House Events
From UNC Clinical Lab Science:
Clinical Lab Science (CLS) is a health profession that uses laboratory science to diagnose and treat disease. UNC Chapel Hill’s School of Medicine offers a baccalaureate degree and a professional master’s degree in CLS. Both programs allow students to merge their talents in science and technology with a desire to help others and work in health care.
If you are interested in learning more about CLS, see our website for more details (http://go.unc.edu/cls ), or sign up for an opportunity to learn more (http://www.med.unc.edu/ahs/clinical/events/cls-learn-more ).
There are opportunities to sit in on various CLS classes or attend an Open Lab Session on Oct 9 or Oct 22 from 5-6pm in 404 MacNider.
We are also hosting a Family Weekend Open House on September 20 at 3pm in Room G010 Bondurant Hall.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
From Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine:
The Office of Postbaccalaureate Studies Programs is happy to announce our upcoming Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences virtual information session:
- Date: 10/16/2019
- Admissions Presentations: 10:00 AM and 1:00 PM EST
- Chat Room Hours: 11:00 AM-12:45 PM &2:00-3:00 PM EST Register here: https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/cusom-msbs-online-information-session/
From Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine:
Interested in applying to PCOM Georgia? Take advantage of our Open House and campus tours scheduled for this fall to learn more about our programs:
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT)
- Biomedical Sciences (MS)
- Physician Assistant Studies (MS)
A.T. Still University – DO/DMD for a Day
- Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH)
- Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCOM)
DATES on the Missouri campus:
- October 29, 2019
- November 5, 2019
- Time: 8:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.
Join us for a typical day in the life of an ATSU student with academic activities, lunch, and a campus tour with current student ambassadors.
UNCG Open House: Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT)
UNCG will be hosting an open house for the Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT) Program on Monday October 28th from 12:30 – 2:00 pm in UNCG’s School of Education Building (Room 401) for students interested in pursuing a career as an athletic trainer.
Choose DO Medical School Expo hosted by Georgia Tech on November 20, 2019 is officially open!
Click here for reasons to attend the Choose DO Medical School Expo.
ASCO Optometry Virtual Fair
COME JOIN US!
Learn all about the great career of optometry and about all the Doctor of Optometry programs all in one place!
- It is EASY to register for this FREE event.
- Save your valuable time by meeting with school representatives in live chat sessions without ever leaving the comfort of your own computer.
- Have a question or need help with your OptomCAS application? This would be a great time to ask!
UNC Sport Administration Graduate Program Open House
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Sport Administration graduate program is hosting an open house for students interested in pursuing a masters degree and working in the industry of intercollegiate athletics. Our two-year graduate program gives students the opportunity to combine theory and practice relating to intercollegiate athletics while also completing a full-time internship during the second year of study. Students who are accepted into our program have the opportunity to experience the following:
- Two-year full scholarship and stipend
- Engaging classroom experiences with student-centric and industry-experienced faculty
- Full time internship with UNC Athletics during year two of the program
- Athletics operations experiences
Join us for our Open House:
- October 8th 6PM – 7PM
- Loudermilk Center for Excellence: 3rd Floor Concourse Club
- Live Stream via Facebook (UNC Sport Administration) or Instagram (@uncsportadmin)
REGISTER NOW AT
From UNC School of Medicine Medical Mentors Program:
My name is Marissa Riley, and I am one of the co-leaders for the Medical Mentors group here at the School of Medicine. We would like to extend a mentorship opportunity to those interested in medical school. Please fill out the form by October 9, 2019 and look for an email with your pairing in October/November. We’ll host an event to meet your matches in an informal setting after that!
If you have any questions, feel free to contact the student leaders of Medical Mentors Program (MMP) listed below:
Center for Global Initiatives:
Limited travel experience and eager to go abroad? There are two incredible awards with deadlines fast approaching designed just for you!
Juniors and Seniors, apply to the Phillips Travel Scholarship by October 15th and receive up to $9,500 for a self-designed international travel experience (2-6 months). About 20 students are awarded each year, and awardees must have attended high school in NC and be a US citizen. Visit cgi.unc.edu for all information.
Free Full Length MCAT Exam
Take advantage of one of the most accurate and realistic practice exams with Examkrackers! Get yours today in our online store. Add EK-4 to your cart and use code FALLFREETEST during checkout to get it for free! https://bit.ly/2kxVo8J
Robert E. Bryan Fellowship
The Bryan Fellowship is designed for undergraduate student teams interested in creating change in communities through an innovative project that addresses a community-identified need. Recipients enroll in a service-learning course on project management during the spring semester and receive up to $1,500 in funding. They also gain access to professional development funds, support from APPLES, and leadership training.
***SUBSCRIBE to receive more messages***
Send a blank message to: Joinemail@example.com
***Share relevant events***
Send announcements (text only please) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
“UNC Health Professions Advising (provides this listserv digest for informational purposes only, does not endorse any organization, and urges students to use good judgment in all of their interactions.”