Looking for a summer opportunity or ideas for your gap year? Listserv emails are archived on the HPA website.
- Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC) – new chapter at UNC
- ECU School of Dental Medicine Spring 2020 Information Session and Tour: March 13th
- Free MCAT and GRE test prep
- The AAMC 2020 Fee Assistance Application is now open!
- 2021 AMCAS application cycle dates
- Register for the 2020 AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair
- Join UNC Adams School of Dentistry and Student National Dental Association for the Spring 2020 Impressions Day
- Gillings School of Public Health Information Session: Feb. 24th
- (De)Constructing Difference: Medicalizing Blackness and the Making of Race: Feb. 13th
- Campbell University MS in Biomedical Sciences virtual information session: Feb. 19th
- Gerald Unks Undergraduate Travel Fellowship: Application due March 6th
- Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair Scholars Program): Application due Feb. 19th
- UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy Pre-Pharmacy Summit: THIS SATURDAY, Feb. 15th
- Diversity and Spring Job Fairs: Feb. 19th & 20th.
1. New FIMRC International chapter at UNC!
Interested in healthcare? Need clinical/volunteer hours? Want to help out in the local community?
The Foundation for International Medical Relief of Children (FIMRC) is a non-profit that works to provide access to medical care for underprivileged and medically underserved families around the world. FIMRC is based on the three pillars of access, education, and participation.
FIMRC at UNC is the newest chapter of FIMRC International that will be adopting and fundraising for a global project (with the potential to visit the global project site next year), volunteering in the Chapel Hill/ Carrboro area, and spreading awareness of health disparities that exist both near and far.
If interested, please sign up for our first interest meetings here.
- Tuesday, February 11 @ 6:30pm in Bingham 301
- Wednesday, February 12 @ 6:30pm in Bingham 301
If you’re interested, but can’t attend either of these meetings, please email David: email@example.com or Maria: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. ECU School of Dental Medicine Spring 2020 Information Session and Tour
On Friday, March 13, 2020, the ECU SoDM Admissions team will host the Spring 2020 Information Session and Tour. This event is open to all North Carolina residents that are currently enrolled in or have completed an undergraduate degree program. The information session will begin at 3PM, with tours beginning at 4PM. For those unable to visit in person, a live webinar of the information session will be available. Registration is required to attend face to face or online. Interested participants may register by visiting: https://ecu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_51p26VuLSv8eH8p. Registration will end at 12PM on Friday, March 6th.
Questions or concerns should be directed to email@example.com.
3. Free MCAT and GRE Test Prep
Upcoming events from:
4. The AAMC 2020 Fee Assistance Application is now open!
- MCAT Official Prep Products
- Reduced MCAT registration fee
- Complimentary subscription to the MSAR
- Waiver for all AMCAS (application) fees and up to 20 medical school designations.
Learn more about these, criteria and application process on the AAMC website.
5. 2021 AMCAS application cycle dates
The 2021 AMCAS cycle will open for applicants to begin completing their application on Monday, May 4, 2020 at 9:30 a.m. ET. Applicants will be able to submit their applications to AMCAS for processing beginning Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:30 a.m. ET. AMCAS will begin transmitting applicant data to medical schools on Friday, June 26, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. ET. These scheduled dates are included below for your reference.
Application Opens: Monday, May 4, 2020
Submission Opens: Thursday, May 28, 2020
Data Transmission: Friday, June 26, 2020
6. Register for the 2020 AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair
Join us for the 2020 Virtual Medical School fair on Feb. 20, 2020, from 11:00 AM – 8:00 PM ET. We’re expecting medical school admissions representatives and medical students from more than 70 institutions across the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to attend this event. View our growing list of exhibitors.
This is a FREE EVENT, but you must register to attend. (Please register early so that medical schools can adequately staff their booths.) After registration you’ll receive a promo code for 15% off of a 2-year MSAR subscription.
7. Join UNC Adams School of Dentistry and Student National Dental Association for the Spring 2020 Impressions Day
The Spring 2020 Impressions program will be held on Saturday, March 7, 2020 from 7:30 am – 3:30 pm. Applications are open now! Participants of the event will be given mock interviews with current faculty and students, seminars on DAT preparation and personal statement writing, a seminar on our admissions process, a Q&A session with current dental students, as well as hands on experience in our simulation lab doing impressions and pouring models. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Students who are interested in participating should begin the registration process (pre-application) for the program by clicking UNC Impressions Pre-Application . There are a maximum amount of spots available to participate, so students are encouraged to register early. After completing the pre-application process (along with registration fee submission), applicants will receive the primary application. The primary application allows us to collect data on participants and help calibrate our recruiting process. Deadline for submission is Saturday, February 22, 2020 by 11:55 pm.
8. Gillings School of Public Health Information Session
BSPH in Health Policy & Management Information Session
- Monday, February 24, 2020
- 123 Rosenau Hall
- To attend, please register here: http://hpmforms.web.unc.edu/
No spring 2020 public health walk-ins, prospective students please email to request a 30 minute appointment as follows:
- For Health Policy and Management: Lynnette Jones Lynnette_jones@unc.edu
- For Nutrition: Jonathan Earnest firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Environmental Health: Jennifer Moore email@example.com
- For Biostatistics: Melissa Hobgood firstname.lastname@example.org
9. (De)Constructing Difference: Medicalizing Blackness and the Making of Race
The University Libraries invites you to an evening lecture:
Rana Hogarth, Ph.D., author of “Medializing Blackness: Making Racial Difference in the Atlantic World,” on February 13th, 2020.
- Free event, open to the pubic
- 5:00 Reception and exhibition viewing: Melba Remig Saltarelli Exhibit Room
- 5:30 PM Program, Pleasants Family Assembly Room, Wilson Library
This program is presented in conjunction with the exhibition “Race Deconstructed: Science and the Making of Difference”, on view in the Melba Remig Saltarelli Exhibit Room at Wilson Library through April 19, 2020.
10. Campbell University Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MSBS) virtual information session
- Date: 2/19/2020
- Admissions Presentations: 10:00 AM and 1:00 PM EST
- Chat Room Hours: 10:00 AM-2:00 PM EST
- Register here: https://cuweb.wufoo.com/forms/cusom-msbs-online-information-session/
- Program representatives and current MSBS students will be present throughout the day to answer questions
- Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
11. Gerald Unks Undergraduate Travel Fellowship
- The fellowship is open to juniors and seniors with a proposed foreign travel itinerary that is at least eight weeks long and includes a stay of at least four days in London, England.
- Visit our website for more information and to complete the online application.
- Applications are due by Friday, March 6, 2020.
12. Ronald E. McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair Scholars Program)
The 2020 Application for the Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program is now available. This is an excellent path to help you earn a Ph.D., pursue research, teach, and/or become a Faculty member in your field!
The McNair Scholars Program is a 2-year research intensive Program for students interested in pursuing doctoral studies immediately after college. The McNair Scholars Program provides students with an 8-week summer research internship (summer between junior and senior year), faculty mentorship, graduate school application and GRE preparation, professional training, exposure to cultural activities, and the opportunity to earn up to $5,000 in stipends. There are a limited number of students selected each year for this Program so we encourage you to begin the application process today by visiting mcnair.unc.edu.
Currently, the McNair Scholars Program is recruiting for Sophomores and Juniors.
If you have any questions, please contact the CHEOP office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (919)-962-1281. Ask to speak with Mr. Kay, McNair Scholars Program Assistant Director.
13. UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy Pre-Pharmacy Summit
- Event: 2020 Pre-Pharmacy Summit at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- Location: UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy – 301 Pharmacy Ln, Chapel Hill, NC, 27599
- Date: Saturday, February 15, 2020
- Time: 9:30 am – 3:00 pm
- Registration Link: https://forms.gle/ki44me2KsSsrMFgt8
The Recruitment Ambassadors Program at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy is hosting the 2nd annual Pre-Pharmacy Summit on Saturday, February 15! All current undergraduate and post-graduate students with an interest in pharmacy are encouraged to attend the Summit to learn about the pharmacy school admissions process and network with prospective and current pharmacy students. Participants will also have the chance to enhance their professional and leadership skills through various breakout sessions and workshops featuring our current students and TED talks led by our esteemed faculty. Register by Feb. 7th!
14. Diversity and Spring Job Fairs
Interested in meeting employers who are seeking students for internship and full-time job opportunities? Come out to attend the Diversity Job Fair on February 19th and the Spring Job & Internship Expo on February 20th taking place on at The Rams Head Rec Center from 12-4pm. Click on the links below for more details. Don’t miss these opportunities to speak to employers and discuss jobs!